StacyHgg

Preservation
Rachael Wade
Deliver
Pam Godwin

Take This Regret (Take This Regret, #1)

Take This Regret (Take This Regret, #1) - A.L. Jackson,  Amy Lichtenhan Take This Regret by A. L. Jackson
Series: Take This Regret #1
Source: Purchased
Review Date: February 23rd 2013
Overall Rating: 5 stars

This is a MUST READ!
A. L. Jackson outdid herself with this one!

I would like to start out this review with a warning—if you do not have a full box of tissues available, do not start this novel. Go to the store and stock up. Mrs. Jackson definitely owes me a box ;) This is a tear-out-your-heart kind of novel.

Take this regret doesn't waste much time showing you how in love the characters are before tearing them apart, but you still know. This is one of the things I love about A. L. Jackson’s writing style; she has the ability to make you feel what the characters feel with what seems like little effort. I have read two of her books prior to this one, Pulled and When We Collide, so I knew I would love this book without even reading the synopsis. Her writing style is amazingly beautiful. I am swept away from early on, no longer seeing the words but living the story.

At the beginning of their senior year at Cambridge University in New York Christian and Elizabeth are faced with an unplanned pregnancy. They had been planning on attending law school the following year together. Elizabeth believes nothing could tear them apart, but she was wrong.

Christian grew up with plenty of money but little affection. His father constantly reminding him that he is to graduate from law school and work for his prominent law firm. His life is all mapped out, and he does not want this pregnancy get in the way of his future. Basically, he gets scared, and let’s fear control him. And, tear them apart.

It is obvious from Christian’s POV that he is not as cold-hearted as Elizabeth (and some fellow reviewers) thinks he is. He is young, naive, and scared of his callous and overbearing father. Needless to say this does not exonerate him; it only explains his own warped reasoning.

Five years pass with no contact between the two. Christian moves to San Diego to open up a branch of his father’s law firm. This just happens to be Elizabeth’s home town. He is determined to make things right. He can no longer handle the tremendous guilt. He wants Elizabeth and his child back in his life, and is willing to do anything to prove he is worthy of their trust. Elizabeth has been through a tremendous amount of hardships in the last five years as a single mother. She was heartbroken and betrayed by Christian, and is just as determined as Christian to not let him into her life, or her heart again.

There is not a lot of “steamy” romance, but, their chemistry is off the charts. You can feel their love so palpable it physically hurts. But is that enough? Can she forgive him? Will they have their HEA? I won’t spoil that, but, I will say that I thought so throughout most of the book. Until, I was near the end of the book, and then??

I HIGHLY recommend this book! You do not have to agree with the choices the characters make to fall in love with the story itself. As in real life, people can make huge mistakes (especially when they are young), and you sometimes have to look past them. Just because someone has made bad choices, does not make them a bad person. People can learn from their mistakes, and grow from them. That is what this story is about. Second chances, forgiveness.
~StacyHgg