StacyHgg

Cover Rating: 3 stars
Overall Rating: 3 Stars
Sensuality Rating: Hot

Review:
I would like to start off by saying that I LOVED Rule the first Marked Men novel. You do not have to read it before Jet, but I highly recommend it. However, unlike Rule, I was not as crazy about Jet. And of course I am going to tell you why. The few things that bothered me in Rule, like the fact that both Shaw and Rule parents were so freaking mean it was downright NOT believable, were present in this novel tenfold. I will explain.

Sorry but the following will contain a rant…
Jet meets Ayden during the first novel, where she propositions him for a one night stand, and he turns her down, NICELY. Yes he tells her VERY NICELY that he actually likes her and she’s beautiful, but they will be seeing each other often because they have friends who are seriously dating, and he does not want to put them in a bad situation. And in her own warped mind she feels like he strait-up humiliated her, and is not attracted to her. Now if he felt that way he would have just slept with her, not pushed her away—don’t you think??

Well that is just the tip of the iceberg as to the questionable thought processes that Ayden has. I literally DO NOT get where she is coming from most of the time, and the worst part of it was when Jet ended—I still didn’t. There was never a good enough explanation as to why she was the way she was—which in my opinion was money hungry. She was so focused on her future, and forgetting her past, that she forgot there was a present at all. Most college kids live for the present, they may plan for the future, but they live in the now. Not Ayden, she literally makes herself, and everyone around her suffer because she had a shady past that she refused to divulge.

And here is another dilemma… She knows that most of the people she hangs out with have messed up parents, and/or a messed up past—so why does she feel they won’t accept her if she tells them the truth about herself?? And why do they accept her anyway? Supposedly they are this tight knit group who doesn't take to outsiders easily, and she doesn't appear very cool or even friendly?? (her coolness is stated, but not actually shown)

But the real reason I stopped liking Ayden was because she was mean to Jet. Mild Spoiler Alert: She dumped him at the worst possible time, when he was going through something horrible—and the explanation why she did this at that exact time was flimsy at best. I was like WTF did she just do that for???? She couldn’t have waited a few days for Jet to be more emotionally stable before tearing his heart out by breaking up with him!!! It was unrealistic to say the least.

And speaking of unrealistic, Jet and Ayden’s parents were total asshats (just like Rule and Shaw’s, minus the money). So I guess this will be a theme when it comes to the Marked Men novels—unrealistically mean parents.

The saving grace for this novel was two things—Jet and sex. Jet was sexy, talented, and had a big heart. (I will say though that I really dislike the boots with the laces untied look, but that’s just me) I did get why Jet was trying to save his mom (from emotional abuse), and when she royally fucked him over, he let her go. He didn’t annoyingly keep trying. And he didn’t give into his dad’s threats in the beginning, even though he wanted to. He remained strong.

The sex, tattoos, piercings, and rock n roll were woven through the pages—and I loved every minute of those sinfully sexy things with Jet.

Overall, and because of Ayden, I just couldn’t love Jet like I did Rule. Do I recommend it? Only if you have read Rule and want a continuation of the story. Oftentimes if I’m warned ahead of time some of the things I may not like, I do not let them affect me as much. So just beware that Ayden will frustrate you. I will be reading Rome, Marked Men #3, which comes out January 7th 2014.

~StacyHgg