StacyHgg

Release Date: March 21, 2010
Print Length: 192 pages
Overall Rating: 4 stars
Steam Rating: 5 stars

Intense/Creepy ~ I didn't want to like this book but I absolutely did!

Warning: This book is not a romance. It is about non-consensual sexual abuse, subjugation, and BDSM. The storyline contains psychological conditioning and Stockholm Syndrome. The author gives fair warning of the nature of the content in the beginning of the book.

I don’t know what it says about me that I really liked this book, but really I don’t care. People who read crime novels don’t want to kill people; they are just pulled into the story. That is definitely the case with Comfort Food. I was hooked from the first page. The author did an amazing job of going into the psyche of the female victim and telling the story from her POV. The attention to detail was amazing; she was one of the most in-depth, three-dimensional characters I have ever read. I felt like I understood why she made every decision.

Emily Vargus is the victim in the story. She is an author of self-help books, and an empowerment speaker, with a masters degree in psychology. Her background makes her inner dialogue unique in that she understood exactly what her captor is trying to do to her. She also knows she is powerless to stop it. Her captor known only as ‘master’ is an extremely dangerous sociopath with tremendous self-control. Emily states the blending of these two characteristics makes her captor very capable of breaking and conditioning her to his will. Which he does with meticulous precision. He is an absolutely a terrifying character. He is also extremely attractive. Emily explains “his soul was ugly, but physically, he was beautiful.” And eventually she succumbs to that beauty.

I will not give away the ending, but I will say that if you’re reading this via Kindle it is over at about the seventy percent mark. I was somewhat shocked as to how it ended. I like when I am surprised at an ending, so I did like the ending for that reason. But I will say it is creepy. Twisted. Just like the rest of the book. This book is not labeled as such, but in my opinion it is similar to a psychological thriller. It will definitely have your head spinning.

~StacyHgg