StacyHgg

Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: April 6, 2013
Length: Full Length Novel
Format: via Kindle
Source: received from author for honest review
Review Date: April 15, 2013
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars

This is not a fairytale. It is real life.

I’d like to start by pointing out that this is not a romance per se, but much of the storyline surrounds a “love” story. It is more like a “fictional memoir” detailing a young high school girl dealing with her parents’ divorce. And she is struggling. Badly.

Megan is a high school sophomore, a good girl, with strait-laced friends, and a crumbling home life. She is heartbroken by her parents divorce and her father’s decision to remarry. She meets Aiden, a senior from her high school, and a real life bad boy while out one night. He is part of the “bad” crowd, smoking, drinking, and doing drugs regularly. Not long after they meet, they are a couple, and she is no longer a “good girl.”

Megan is vulnerable and Aiden is a predator. He uses Megan’s need to escape her homelife to his advantage every chance he gets. He is not the hot bad boy with a big heart underneath it all. He is just a hot bad boy, period. The kind that are in the real world. The kind a lot of girls, myself included, can relate to being with as a teenager. There was no happy ending coming from this type of guy, only heartbreak.

As their relationship progresses it deals with many heavy subjects: teenage rebellion, alcohol and drug use, consensual and nonconsensual sex, first love, and parental neglect. It is a brutally honest portrayal of a teenage girl without direction. She gets lost. But all hope is not gone. There is a boy that wants her to find herself again. Will she let him in? Or is it too late?

I highly recommend this book, especially for teens (high-school aged) and their parents. This is what every teenage girl faces without parental direction. This is real life.

~StacyHgg