StacyHgg

Review Date: April 3, 2013
Overall Rating: 4 stars
Steam Rating: 4 stars

J. R. Ward does it again! She is Amazing!!! Love Blay & Quinn <3

We first read about Blay and Quinn’s possible romance a few books ago (I believe Lover Enshrined) and I was under the impression this would always be a secondary storyline. I am so glad it was not. Mrs. Ward has the ability to drag me into a storyline and love characters that have not even had their own book yet, and that is rare (for me).

I will start with what I was most curious about—how Ward was going to do the m/m love scenes. I say this because her previous books have been very detailed, and graphic. Was she going to continue this in Lover at Last when some of her audience may not be into m/m romance? The answer is yes and no. She did have sex scenes but they were not overly graphic. They were more romantic in nature. However, they were there, so if that isn’t your thing you may want to pass on this one, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless it really isn’t your thing. Because there are a lot of other storylines going on in this one that you don’t want to miss out on.

Now about the other storylines. We knew something was going on between Layla and Xcor in Lover Reborn—that storyline continues. At the end of Lover Reborn, Quinn “serviced” Layla during her needing and we are left wondering if she could be pregnant—that question is answered. We were also introduced to Assail, who didn’t seem to interesting, but I LOVE him in this one. He will most likely be getting his own book soon, with another newly introduced character. And of course there is the battle between the brothers and the lessers, and the Band of Bastards. There is also a real shocker towards the end (which I can’t mention because it would surely spoil it for you). And last but not least, Wrath and Beth have a lot of good scenes, one with Wrath giving a speech to the glymera which is totally badass!

So with so many storylines throughout this novel how does it flow? Mrs. Ward isn’t known for seamless storytelling when it comes to the BDB, but this one is especially “choppy.” It got so bad at times that I thought my mind was getting whiplash! But somehow, after only a few pages she was able to drag me deep into that particular storyline. Impressive. But I was to be cut off a few pages later. This cycle goes on and on and on. This is the only reason I did not give Lover at Last 5 stars. Because, the storylines, were amazing. I LOVE the Black Dagger Brotherhood, and I can’t see that ever ending. I’m already psyched for the next book!

~StacyHgg ♥