The King

Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Review Date: April 30, 2013
Overall Rating: 4 stars
Sensuality Rating: Mild (YA)

★★★★

Spooky, Unique, Emotional, Bittersweet…

This book had my emotions all over the place. But at the turning of the last page the overwhelming feeling was bittersweet. This was a YA book with a heroine that acts like a real teenager, unlike the teenagers in many YA books that have the emotional intelligence of a forty year old.

Lysandra is an average girl, in an average town, doing average (although risky) teenage stuff. She reminds me a lot of myself during my teenage rebellious years. She is naïve, superficial, and impulsive; think back to when you were teenager and you can most likely relate (if you’re being honest with yourself).

She meets Aydin on her last day of her senior year in high school. He is a new kid, a recent arrival to her high school. As Lysandra’s decisions lead to horrible consequences he is there to help her out of the darkness. But he is hiding a lot. Aydin is a mystery, and when Lysandra finds out who he really is her world is turned upside-down. She is faced with adult decisions for the first time in her life. She is also forced into a supernatural world she knew nothing about. Will she survive through all this? You may be surprised…

I thought I knew where the story was going so many times and was shocked each time I was wrong. This story has its supernatural elements, but above all it is a story about a young girl dealing with difficult circumstances and growing from them. The end is bittersweet. I was hoping for something different, but I also like to be surprised. And I was definitely surprised.

Warning: this book contains underage drinking and (non-graphic) non-consensual sex/rape.

Books Unhinged