StacyHgg

Review Date: December 10th 2013
Steam Rating: Hot
Overall Rating: 3 STARS

Review:

The blurb for this book is right; it’s not your average romance. And the heroine is FAR from innocent. In fact I didn’t like her for most of the book. She was immature, self-absorbed, closed-off, and just plain bitchy. Her mother really messed up her morals and values, and it shows.

Don’t get me wrong, I felt bad for the hand she was dealt, but I didn’t have to like that she used people. She only became “close” to people who could benefit her in some way. It was sad. And she was an alcoholic/addict who denied she has a problem for most of the novel. I was glad that the author had Emerald going to “AA” meetings, but her portrayal of an AA meeting is VERY off (I work with recovering alcoholics so I know). I would have liked if the author did her homework regarding this.

However, I did like the witty banter and one-liners that Emerald frequently used as a defense mechanism. Her chemistry with Carter was HOT! I really liked the steamy scenes, and I loved how Carter handled Emerald. He was all gentleman but took no shit from her either.

Emerald—I’m not trying to be your Prince Charming or your knight in shining armor. You’re too fucked up for me to even think about saving you.

Carter is VERY closed-off, and we find out almost nothing about him for most of the novel. It was like he had all these deep, dark secrets that we weren’t privy to. But near the end when we finally found out what I suppose was supposed to be a “shocker,” it was just anti-climactic for me.

But the worst part was that it ended on a major cliffhanger. I didn’t even know it was part of a series. It is my personal preference that I do not read cliffhangers if I can help it, however I do not rate books any lower if they have one. The next book is stated to be coming out “soon” as stated in the eARC. Will I be reading it? I don’t think so :-(
~StacyHgg